Go Green : With Gaelic Dreams
Floral & Imports, Hopkinsville Kentucky USA
Topics in this category
15 Easy Steps to Living A Greener Lifestyle
1. Use personal care and household products that do not contain artificial chemicals, colorants or additives. These are better for your health and skin anyway.
2. Avoid food that have added preservatives, colorings or artificial flavorings. Not only are these bad for you but many are made of petroleum by-products.
3. Compost your food wastes and then use this to enhance your flower or vegetable plantings. Grass clippings and hedge trimming should also be composted.
4. When gardening or taking care of your lawn do not use harsh unnatural chemicals. There are many alternatives on the market today that are not only natural or organic but are also less harmful to the native wildlife.
5. When shopping, use a reusable shopping bag or a 100% recyclable bag.
6. Recycle all plastic or glass containers and all paper products including news papers.
7. Use cloth towels as opposed to paper towels.
8. Use 100% cotton diapers instead of disposables. If everyone did this the wasted would be reduced drastically.
9. Use soaps and detergents that are 100% bio-degradable and contain natural enzymes.
10. Avoid littering. This waste gets into our streams and rivers and adds unneeded pollutants.
11. Use new fluorescent low wattage bulbs in place of heat generating incandescent.
12. Use carpooling when ever possible. This helps eliminate fluorocarbons and added pollutants in the air.
13. Exercise and eat a healthy diet low in saturated fats. By maintaining a healthy diet not only will you feel better and have more energy but you may also live longer.
14. Rather then using over the counter medications, use herbal treatments. This helps you from becoming immune to prescription drugs when you really need them.
15. Encourage you family, friends and neighbors to do the same. If every neighborhood in the US instituted mandatory recycling and took responsibility for controlling pollution the world would be a better place and Mother Nature would have a chance to heal herself.
Gaelic Dreams Floral & Imports offers a variety of classes and workshops designed to put you in touch with your natural self and with nature. If you would like to know what classes or services are available click here: Classes & Workshops
Other sites with information on Living Green!
Audubon Society - Audubon's mission is to conserve and restore natural ecosystems, focusing on birds, other wildlife, and their habitats for the benefit of humanity and the earth's biological diversity. Our national network of community-based nature centers and chapters, scientific and educational programs, and advocacy on behalf of areas sustaining important bird populations, engage millions of people of all ages and backgrounds in positive conservation experiences..
Conscious Choice - is an "enlightened" urban lifestyle magazine focusing on equal parts Environment, Progressive Politics, Healthy & Natural Living, and Spirituality. Conscious Choice serves as a valuable resource to help readers live Active, Balanced and Conscious lives while helping create a truly sustainable society — and have fun doing it. Conscious Choice also supports and engages in socially responsible business practices including the use of post-consumer recyclables in our printing, energy efficiency in our office space, and regular involvement with
Chicago’s exploding Green community.
emagazine.com - Now in its 16th year, E/The Environmental Magazine is a bimonthly “clearinghouse” of information, news and resources for people concerned about the environment who want to know “What can I do?” to make a difference. A 13-time Independent Press Awards winner and nominee, E is chock full of everything environmental -- from recycling to rainforests, and from the global village to our own backyards.
EarthWatch Institute - a non-profit membership organization devoted to environmental conservation.
Friends of the Earth International - Friends of the Earth International is the world's largest grassroots environmental network, uniting 71 diverse national member groups and some 5,000 local activist groups on every continent. With approximately 1.5 million members and supporters around the world, we campaign on today's most urgent environmental and social issues. We challenge the current model of economic and corporate globalization, and promote solutions that will help to create environmentally sustainable and socially just societies
Global Exchange - Global Exchange is a membership-based international human rights organization dedicated to promoting social, economic and environmental justice around the world.
GreenNet - GreenNet supports a progressive community working for Peace, the Environment, Gender Equality and Social Justice, through the use of Information Communication Technologies (ICTs).
Greenpeace USA - a nonprofit environmental organization with a presence in 40 countries.
National Parks Conservation Association - We believe that America's National Parks and historical sites embody the American spirit. They are windows to our past, homes to some of our rarest plants and animal species, and places where every American can go to find inspiration, peace, and open space. But these living, breathing monuments to our nation's history, culture, and landscape need care and support to overcome the many dangers that threaten to destroy them forever. At the National Parks Conservation Association, we work every day to ensure they get that vital care and support.
Natural Choice Directory - The Natural Choice Directory is your local "Healthy Yellow Pages" for businesses and services that address the community of environmentally, health, & spiritually conscious consumers in the Puget Sound area.
Rainforest Action Network - Rainforest Action Network protects forests and the rights of their inhabitants by campaigning to break America’s oil addiction, promote sustainable logging, and bring green ethics to Wall St.
Sierra Club - The Sierra Club's members are more than 750,000 of your friends and neighbors. Inspired by nature, we work together to protect our communities and the planet. The Club is America's oldest, largest and most influential grassroots environmental organization.
The Simple Living Network - Since 1996 The Simple Living Network has been providing resources, tools, examples and contacts for conscious, simple, healthy and restorative living.
Trees for the Future - A people-to-people action plan restoring trees to the world’s most degraded lands. Planting trees helps keep people productive on their lands, preserving their traditional livelihoods and cultures for generations to come.
Gaelic Dreams Floral & Imports does everything in its power to reduce our waste and to recycle whenever possible. We compost all our flower clippings and wastes. Our merchandise bags are 100% recyclable and we use natural cleansers to keep our shelves and floors fresh. We hope that many of you will start or continue on a similar path as, together, we can make the world a better place. To find natural products be sure to see the pages of this site by using the links to the right or at the top and bottom of each page.